Vegan butternut squash and sage soup with squash crisps
The coconut base butternut squash soup seasoned with crispy sage and served with the oven roasted squash chips is best dinner during winters.
Butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata), known in Australia and New Zealand as butternut pumpkin or gramma, is a type of winter squash that grows on a vine. It has a sweet, nutty taste similar to that of a pumpkin.
A strong smelling herb, loved by some and disliked by some. Use it only for seasoning and not while cooking.
Home made coconut milk will be a bt runny than a store bought coconut milk, so reduce the water used in the soup while making it accordingly.
Can be substituted with butter or sunflower flavourless oil
I find the white onions to be less pungent and I prefer them for soups. Can substitute with red onions too. They add depth to the flavour.
Fresh garlic pods.
Variations to the butternut squash sage soup
- Replace the coconut milk with equal measure of milk for a non vegan version of the same soup.
- Substitute the butternut squash with yellow pumpkin which is abundantly available in our country. Choose a firm pumpkin.
- Switch the sage with Thai basil and use a coconut base to make a asian flavour of the pumpkin soup
The vessel I used
Vinod 3 lt stainless steel heavy gauge
Tips to make a perfect butternut squash soup
- Toss the vegetables in oil and add water to cook the vegetables. Do not cook till the vegetables change colour or darken.
- Homemade coconut milk has to be strained well before use.
- Switch off the stove before you add the coconut milk.
- The thinner the strips of pumpkin/squash the faster it darkens in the oven, keep it away from the direct heat. I kept it in the lowest shelf for getting the perfect crisp chip.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who want to understand the science behind the food, and use the tried and tested recipes.
Pumpkin ( Butternut Squash ) and sage vegan soup
- 2 Cup Veg broth
- 4 Cup Cubed pumpkin/ squash
- 1 Cup Onion dices
- 6 pods Garlic
- 1 Fistfull Sage leaves fresh Dried take a tbsp of it.
- Chop the veggies
- Sauté the onions and garlic until it becomes translucent in 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add the squash / pumpkin, and toss to coat them with the oil. Add the veg broth.
- Add 2 cups of water. Close and cook for 20 minutes.
- The vegetables are well cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Puree and strain to get the silky texture.
- Simmer for 5 minutes till it just starts to boil.
- Switch off the stove and add the coconut milk.
- Fry the sage leaves in oilve oil, and just when you switch off add a pinch of salt to coat on the crispy sage to get at every bite.
- Top up the soup with the sage seasoning and crushed pepper.