Every place I have lived in or travelled to leaves behind a recipe with me to take back home. Karnataka – My home for the past decade has taught me more than a few. Akki roti tops the list anyday.
Akki roti is a roti is a roti.
The simplicity of the ingredients makes it a common food in most households in Karnataka. Just rice flour and flavouring as we need it. I have had akki rotti with just cumin and salt in it, and a complicated akki roti with 10 items to flavour it. Substitute the cayote with grated cucumber for a different version of the roti. Fennel leaves is optional if you are not a big fan of it. Reduce the water as cucumber leaves a lot of water when grated. But the basic recipe remains the same. Akki roti is a roti is a roti.
Tips to get a perfect Akki rotti
- The dough made should not be thick like chapathi dough. it should be soft and easy to spread.
- The pan should not be hot while spreading the dough on it with the hand.
- Washing the back of the pan after every roti is my way of keeping the pan cool while not removing the oil on the pan after every roti.
- The thinner the roti, the crispier the roti is.
- Grating the vegetables and cutting the leafy vegetables fine, is the key to a perfect Akki roti.
- Make sure to buy the “Raw Rice Flour”.
Akki Roti – Rice flat bread
- 1.5 cup Raw rice flour
- ¾ cup Onion finely diced
- ½ cup Carrot grated.
- ¾ cup Chayote grated.
- ¾ cup Fennel leaves finely chopped
- ¾ cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- ¾ cup Spring Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Coconut grated
- 1 Piece Green chillies finely cut
- 6 Piece Curry leaves finely chopped.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ cup Hot water
- Mix all the ingredients except the rice flour, and mix well.
- Add the rice flour and mix well.
- Add the hot water and bring all the ingredients together into a dough.
- Add a few drops of water if you feel the dough is too brittle. The dough has to be soft enough to spread, softer than a regular chapati dough.
- On a pan without the heat on, spread a teaspoon of oil all around the pan to form a layer.
- Take the prepared dough, the size of a tennis ball ,and spread it evenly all along the pan.
- The dough should be spread to ¼ inch thickness.
- Make 4 holes in the spread dough to hold the oil like shown in the video.
- Pour 1/4th tea spoon of oil in each hole.
- Place the pan on the heat and close with a lid.
- Allow it to cook for a 2-3 minutes. Open to check occasionally.
- Turn the roti over to cook the other side.
- Akki roti is ready. Serve with coconut chutney.
- Wash the back of the tawa after each roti to cool down the tawa for the next roti.
You might also like .