Every place I have lived in or travelled to leaves behind a recipe with me to take back home. Karnataka – My home for the past decade has taught me more than a few. Akki roti tops the list anyday.
Akki roti is a roti is a roti.
The simplicity of the ingredients makes it a common food in most households in Karnataka. Just rice flour and flavoring as we need it. I have had akki roti with just cumin and salt in it, and a complicated akki roti with 10 items to flavor it. Substitute the coyote with grated cucumber for a different version of the roti. Fennel leaves are optional if you are not a big fan of it. Reduce the water as cucumber leaves a lot of water when grated. But the basic recipe remains the same.
Tips to get a perfect Akki rotti
- The dough made should not be thick like chapati dough. it should be soft and easy to spread.
- The pan should not be hot while spreading the dough on it with the hand.
- Washing the back of the pan after every roti is my way of keeping the pan cool while not removing the oil on the pan after every roti.
- The thinner the roti, the crispier the roti is.
- Grating the vegetables and cutting the leafy vegetables fine, is the key to a perfect Akki roti.
- Make sure to buy the “Raw Rice Flour”.
- The Kadai used should be a well seasoned. Using a brand new kadai/bandli for the recipe would not help.
- You can use the Appa Chatti if you have one at home.
- Apply oil on the kadai before spreading the dough on it.
- Leaving the lid on the bandli/kadai for few minutes, will cook the front side of the roti. No need to turn it upside down.
The Kadai/ Bandli I used for the recipe
Cast iorn kadai
You can buy the cast iorn kadai here.
This is an Aluminium Kadai I use. The kadai has to be used for a few months before it can be used for making a roti.
Here is where you can buy it.
Akki roti | Rice flat bread
- 1.5 cup Raw rice flour
- 1/2 cup Onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup Carrot grated.
- 1/2 cup Chayote grated.
- 1/2 cup Fennel leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1 Piece Green chillies finely cut
- .6 Piece Curry leaves finely chopped.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 cup Hot water
- Mix all the ingredients except the rice flour, and mix well.
- Add the rice flour and mix well.
- Add the hot water and bring all the ingredients together into a dough.
- Add a few drops of water if you feel the dough is too brittle. The dough has to be soft enough to spread, softer than a regular chapati dough.
- On a kadai without the heat on, spread a teaspoon of oil all around the pan to form a layer.
- Take the prepared dough, the size of a tennis ball, and spread it evenly all along with the pan.
- The dough should be spread to ¼ inch thickness.
- Make 4 holes in the spread dough to hold the oil like shown in the video.
- Pour 1/4th teaspoon of oil in each hole.
- Place the kadai on the heat and close with a lid.
- Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes. Open to check occasionally.
- Turn the roti over to cook the other side.
- Akki roti is ready. Serve with coconut chutney.
- Wash the back of the tawa after each roti to cool down the tawa for the next roti.