Drumstick pickle Andhra style
Juicy, spicy drumstick coated with the spices and red chilly and fried in oil. Who can resist the combination of the drumstick pickle (Andhra style) with curd rice or a coconut rice. So the days I find the drumstick which is not too tender and not too thick, I grab a few and get it pickled immediately.
A pickle is a way to relish an ingredient during the off-seasons. It is a way to marinate the raw vegetable or fruit and consume it with the absorbed spices floating in oil or brine. The oil preserves the ingredients while the spices do the flavouring.
Fresh drumstick cut into 2 inch pieces.
Sesame oil with it strong aromatic flavour tastes best for the pickle.
I used the Three mangoes chilly powder, which has the right amount of spice and a deep colour.
Roasted and powdered mustard powder is a common spice in south Indian pickles.
Roasted and powdered fenugreek powder is a common spice in south Indian pickles.
Variations to the drumstick pickle
This drumstick pickle has two varieties. One with tomato onion and garlic gravy and the other loaded with just the spices like the one below. This become a part of my household for almost a decade now.
The cast iron tawa I used for the recipe.
Pickles you might like
Tips to make a perfect drumstick pickle
- The most important of the tips to make a pickle is to avoid moisture. Moisture is your true enemy to your pickle. Wipe your raw veg or fruit and let it dry for a while before picking it.
- Top up the pickle with oil or brine based on the recipe till the ingredients are submerged in it.
- Check the lid of the pickle for moisture. Wipe the seem and the inside before closing the lid tight.
Step by step video
Drumstick Pickle Andhra Style
- 4 full Drumstick 1.5 ft each
- 6 pods Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 cup Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 cup Tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- In a dry skillet fry the mustard seeds till they turn slightly gray and release an aroma. Approx 2 minutes. Make a smooth powder of it in a mixer. Set aside.(See note below)
- In a dry skillet fry the fenugreek seeds till they turn golden brown and release an aroma. Approx 2 minutes. Make a smooth powder of it in a mixer. Set aside.(See note below)
- Wash and wipe the drustick clean. Cut it into one inch slices.
- In a clean dry skillet add 1/4th cup of oil
- Add and fry the drumstick pieces till the bubbles in the oil slow while the drumstick is still green. Do not over fry it as it will loose its flavour. Approx 5-6 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the turmeric, salt, chilly powder, mustard fenugreek powder, tamarind pulp.
- Cook for a few moments while all the ingredients mix and the colour deepens.
- Switch off the stove. Add the left over oil to the pickle.
- Allow it to cool.
- Transfer to an air tight bottle and refrigirate. The pickle retains its flavour for two weeks.