kodu millet health drink | Summer cooler | Porridge
Kodo millet health drink/cooler/porridge is a summer drink made with gluten free kodu millet and flavoured with cardamom.
Kodu Millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum ) is called Arikelu in the Telugu language, Varagu in Tamil, Varak in Malayalam, Arka in Kannada, and Kodra in Hindi. It is known for its gluten free, high fiber content, rich in vitamins and minerals making it the right substitute for rice or wheat for weight loss, diabetic people. It is also a highly nutritious food for the anemic.
Kodu Millet is a good substitute for rice as it is gluten-free, rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Kodo millet works as a great substitute in many rice recipes.
Kodo Millet also knows as Varagarisi in Tamil is a perennial grass that grows up to 150 cm tall. This was a farmer food which has become famous all over with so many bloggers, and media appreciating the benefits and encouraging people to make it our daily food.
Skimmed cow milk, almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk all are good substitutes
Cardamom is one of my favourites in the spice rack. What do you taste when you put cardamom in your mouth? You really have to bite into raw cardamom to get a sense of the flavours within. Here’s how you do it. Take a piece of fresh Cardamom – a green one – with peel. Remove the peel. The black pods inside are the bombshells of flavour. Put a couple of them in your mouth. Close your eyes, and bite into them. What do you taste ?
Did it taste like you bit into a piece of camphor? Did you smell eucalyptus? How about a citrus aftertaste and a floral aroma? That’s Cardamom and its complex flavours for you. Based on where your cardamoms come from, the intensity of the camphor or the citrus flavours will vary
Variations to the kodu millet health drink | Summer cooler | Porridge
Try different versions of the same recipe by changing the milk used. Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk are all good substitutes.
Where to buy Kodo millet ?
I enjoy buying my produce for home from Jivabhumi, which is a community supported agricultural eco system.
Tips to make a perfect kodu millet health drink | Summer cooler | Porridge
1. Pouring the dosa batter on to the skillet defines the pores of the dosa. Keep your laddle 6-8 inches from the tawa while pouring the batter.
2. If the dosa batter is too thick there will be very little holes. Add 1/4 cup of water to test again.
3. The batter can be kept in the refrigerator and used with in 12 hours.
Kodu Millet health drink | Cooler | Porridge
- ½ Cup Koda Millet
- 2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery
- 1 Cup Water to dilute the milk.
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Clove
- Wash and clean the Koda millet.
- Pressure cook the millet with 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Grind the cooked millet in a mixer with 1 cup of milk to a smooth consistency.
- Add jaggery to the mixture and beat it to a creamy texture making it easy to dissolve uniformly.
- Add the cardamom and the clove powder.
- Add extra water to get the drink to a thin drinking consistency.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Serve cold.