A very very easy recipe for fried raw banana chips from my mother-in-law. It is crispy thin and mildly salted unlike the store-bought once. As simple as it sounds there are a few points to note during the recipe which will ensure perfect chips every single time.
The raw nendra banana is sued to make the chips. The banana is hard and perfect for slicing into thin slices. A slightly ripe version of the banana whihc is still hard in the exterior is also used for making the chips in the same way. it tends to have a mild sweet under tone wihc has its own fan following. Today I have made the raw banana chips. Did find a rougue sweet one among them and fried it too.
Notes to get the perfect Raw banana chips | nendra upperi | ethakka upperi every single time.
- Peel the banana till no green color of the peel is visible, else it will form an outer crust around the chip.
- Soak the raw banana after peeling in turmeric water in order to get the yellow color for the chip and also to avoid the banana from turning black.
- The oil pan should have oil up to half its capacity leaving space for the oil to bubble up and come down.
- A thin slicer is a must to have great results. It is a good investment for the kitchen.
- Sprinkle salt water after the bubbles start to subside. Wait for the oil to refry the chips after absorbing the salt in the water.
Here is the detailed recipe for Raw banana chips | nendra upperi | ethakka upperi
Where to buy
Local farms and markets store them during AUgust season for Onam. No online sources available yet.
Here is the detailed recipe.
Banana chips | ethakka chips | Nendra Upperi
- 2 kg Raw Nendra banana
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cup water.
- Add turmeric and 10 cups of water in a large vessel.
- Peel the raw banana till no green peel is visible.
- Put them into the vessel with water and turmeric immediately.
- In a clean vessel add 2 cups of water and 2 tbsp of salt. Salt water is ready.
- Heat coconut oil for frying.
- Using a thin slicer, slice the banana directly into the oil, as they stick to each other quickly.
- Toss and turn them inside the oil gently so that they fry evenly.
- The bubbles in the oil reduce in a minute.
- At this moment sprinkle 2 tsp of the saltwater into the frying banana slices.
- This is for the chips to absorb the salt into it.
- The oil bubbles up and refries the banana slices.
- The chips is ready when the oil bubbles down again.
- Strain out the oil and transfer the chips to a plate.
- Store in an airtight container after it comes to room temperature.