Sheermal roti with egg
My first encounter with Sheermal roti was on the streets of Kashmir long time ago. It was a sudden fragrance of fresh baked sweet bread that filled the air. There it was a small shop who was bringing and arranging his bakes for the day. Never heard of it or eaten it before, I was mesmerised by its fragrance and the texture. We enjoyed the street food with a cup of Kahwah tea. Today I am reliving my experience of the Sheermal roti at home. Perfect to the T, in its fragrance and its form.
Here it is the Sheermal which travelled from Persia to Kashmir and has taken many forms as it mingled with cuisines in the Northern India and got a form of its own.
All purpose flour
Refined flour sieved twice gives best results.
I use the active dry yeast. Link to where to buy the yeast given below. Cardamom and Saffron
The combination of cardamom and saffron makes any dish Persian
Milk makes the bread softer.
Eggs make yeast breads finer and richer, help provide color, volume and also bind the ingredients together.
Variations to the Sheermal roti ?
Sheermal roti can be made with or without egg. Here is the detailed recipe of Sheermal roti without egg.
What is an egg wash ?
Egg wash is made with a mixture of egg and water. It is applied gently on the to be baked goods just before it goes into the oven. This makes the final product golden brown in colour and slightly shiny.
Break an egg and whisk it with a tablespoon of water. Thats it. Now take the brush and gently apply it on the top layer of the to be baked bread or Sheermal roti.
The yeast I used
The parchment paper I used
Tips to make a perfect Sheermal roti
- Do not add more flour because the dough is slightly sticky. The recipe has been tried and tested at home by me several times.
- Use the best quality parchment paper(Detailed of the brand I used given below). A bad quality parchment paper will stick to the dough and give a bad end result.
- If the dough has not doubled its size in two hours, give it some extra 30 minutes. The recipe is very forgiving.
- The flattened dough need to double in size too. I let it raise for 40 minutes for a bread and 60 minutes for another as I was waiting for space in the oven. The bread which doubles itself in volume was the bread with better texture.
Step by step video
Sheermal roti with egg
- 3 Cup All purpose flour , Maida
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2¼ tsp Yeast
- 2 piece Egg One for the egg wash, one for the bread
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 100 gms Ghee
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Black sesame
- 1 tsp White sesame
- Add the warm milk, an egg and the butter in a clean bowl
- Add the powdered sugar and the yeast to the warm milk mixture.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture.
- Mix well. Makes a slightly sticky dough.
- Let it raise for 2 hours.
- The dough is soft aerated and raised well.
- Divide it into two equal parts.
- Place one part on the parchment paper, and slowly spread it to a 10 inch diameter disk
- Close it with a parchment paper and let it raise for for 40 minutes.
- The dough will raise to an inch thick.
- Create a pattern of your choice with your fingers or fork.
- Give it an egg wash.
- Top it with black and white sesame (OR) Almond and pistachio slices.
- Bake it in an oven for 250 C for 6-7 minutes.
- Take it out and let it cool to room temperature.
- Slice and serve with a pickles and a Kashmiri Khawa tea.
- Alternatively this could be baked on the stove too.