The main ingredient used is flattened rice. Use semi-thick flattened rice so that it absorbs all the moisture and still holds its texture unlike the softer versions of the flattened rice. The softer the flattened rice, the mushier the end result is. The flattened rice made from red rice can also be used for the recipe. The roasted sesame seeds add a great flavour to the Tamarind poha. It is high in protein too. The dry coconut added to the Tamarind Poha / Puli Avil can be substituted with desiccated coconut too. Everything you need to know about Flattened rice.
The cast iron tawa I used for the recipe.
I have used a cast-iron skillet/Kadai from Mayer. Here is the link to buy it.
How to maintain a cast iron skillet?
Wash with regular vessel detergent. Pat dry. Apply a few drops of oil in the inside and outside of the pan to avoid it from rusting.
Tips to make a perfect Whole wheat dosa
- The best time to induce the flavours into the flattened rice/ poha is through the water we use to hydrate it. The flavours will then mix evenly.
- The flattened rice made from red rice also tastes equally good in this recipe.
- The water may look a little excess initially but will get completely absorbed in 10 minutes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Tamarind Poha | Puli Avil
- 1 cup Flattened rice medium thick
- 1.5 cup Water
- 1 Lemon size tamarind
- 2 tbsp White Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Dry coconut powder Optional
- 4 tbsp Groundnuts
- 4 tbsp Gingely/Sesame Oil
- 1.5 tsp Sambar powder
- 1 tsp salt or as required.
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 4 Pieces Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 2 Pieces Red chilli
- 2 Pieces Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Chana dal for seasoning
- 1 tsp Mustard for seasoning
- Dry roast the sesame seeds , powder it smooth.
- Powder the flattened rice into its coarse form.
- In a clean bowl add the tamarind pulp.
- Add the water to it. Add the sambar powder, jaggery, salt, asafoetida and stir well.
- Add the powdered poha to it. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a clean kadai add the oil and get the seasoning ready.
- Add the mustard, gram dal and saute till they splatter.
- Add the groundnuts. Saute for few minutes.
- Add the red chilli, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the soaked flattened rice to it.
- Add the sesame powder, coriander leaves, coconut powder and mix well
- Cook with the lid closed for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.